2006 Jun 02 13:00

Re: [vox-tech] gcc and quieting warnings

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 11:53:43AM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> I always use -W -Wall when I compile code.  However, sometimes, I want gcc
> to ignore certain instances of a warning.  For example, in something like a
> stub function, or a signal callback, or even an API function that doesn't
> use all the parameters, like:
>
>    JNIEXPORT void JNICALL
>    Java_HelloWorld_print( JNIEnv *env, jobject obj )
<snip>

It may be sufficient to simply not NAME the variables, e.g.:

  Java_HelloWorld_print(JNIEnv*, jobject)

> gcc of course complains about unused parameters.  Of course, I *could*
> simply not use -W -Wall, but I don't want to NOT use -W -Wall just
> because I haven't gotten around to finishing a stub function.  Besides,
> active development is the best time to turn on compiler warnings.

The other alternative is to actually use the variables, but it's kind of
klugey.  Like:

  obj = obj;  /* NUL OP ;) */

Good luck!

bill@newbreedsoftware.com