2006 May 24 18:53

Re: [vox-tech] Aptitude not being efficient; [was Cannot Connectto Comcast highspeed]

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 20:37 -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Wed 24 May 06,  4:47 PM, Tim Riley <timriley@appahost.com> said:
> > Hello Linux Gurus:
> >
> > I'm trying to connect to Comcast's portal to the Internet
> > but without success.

<snip>

> > Notice there's no "inet addr:a.b.c.d" entry. Moreover, my
> > browser can't locate any sites. However, packets are coming
> > in and going out -- notice 2680 received and 27 sent.
> >
> > --
> > Tim Riley
>
> i assume you looked for debug messages in /var/logs?
Yes.

>   strace?
>
> just an idea:
>
> try dhclient.  i used to use it with comcast cable when i lived in
> california.

This is wierd: In aptitude I looked up the package 'dhcp-client',
and it's current state is 'c' for the package was removed,
but its configuration files are still present. This is true
because the command 'locate' shows the existance of
/sbin/dhclient (meaning it was there at some point in time),
and the configuration file /etc/dhclient.conf is still there, but
the command 'ls' shows the executable '/sbin/dhclient' not being
there. So it was probably removed when I installed dhcpcd.

Now I'm installing the package 'dhcp-client' in aptitude and
it's reinstalling libc6-dev, taking 2 1/2 hours because of my
slow modem.