2006 May 24 19:28

[vox-tech] Cannot Connect to Comcast highspeed

[vox-tech] Cannot Connect to Comcast highspeed

Hello Linux Gurus:

I'm trying to connect to Comcast's portal to the Internet
but without success.

Comcast uses Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
to assign my IP address dynamically, and it works fine on
Windows ME.

However, on Linux the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
Client Daemon (dhcpcd) runs without error, but I fail to
get an IP address. Here's the output in debug mode:

sunset:/home/timriley# dhcpcd -d eth0
dhcpcd: MAC address = 00:0c:6e:ce:34:96

Here's the output in the error messages file:
May 24 13:45:48 localhost kernel: eth0: Media Link On 100mbps
full-duplex

Here's the result of the IP interface configuration program:

sunset:/home/timriley# ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0C:6E:CE:34:96
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:161364 (157.5 KiB)  TX bytes:8214 (8.0 KiB)
          Interrupt:217 Base address:0x9800

Notice there's no "inet addr:a.b.c.d" entry. Moreover, my
browser can't locate any sites. However, packets are coming
in and going out -- notice 2680 received and 27 sent.

--
Tim Riley