2006 May 24 00:18

Re: [vox-tech] Building kernel for kubuntu

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 10:30:09AM -0700, Richard Harke wrote:
> I have a laptop with athlon 64 and I have installed kubuntu amd64
> I built custom kernel at version 2.6.12 source from ubuntu and with
> ubuntu patches.
> I can't get it to boot. It claims /dev/hda1 doesn't exist. But it certainly
> exists for the install kernel. I suspect a problem with the initrd because
> I had that problem on another machine (not amd64, Debian) where
> docs said not to use mkinitrd but something newer. In the end I had
> to use mkinitrd, the image made with the newer tool couldn't be
> loaded. The current inird is built with mkinitramfs (Don't remember
> if this was name on the other system) I installed initrd-tools which
> has mkinitrd and tried that. But I don't get a file! Command is:
>         mkinitrd -o initrd.img 2.6.12_G1 where 2.6.12_G1 is the version
> of the kernel I built.
> Does anyone know what is going on?

I seem to recall issues with mkinitrd and newer kernels and debian.
Try yaird (Yet Another mkInitRD).

Alternatively, determine what modules the kernel is loading, and then
compile those into your 2.6.12_G1. (And while you're at it, consider
updating to 2.6.16)

--Ken