2006 May 17 07:55

Re: [vox-tech] KDE with automounter, external hard disk, and rsync

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 11:56:46AM -0700, Henry House wrote:
> I'm helping a friend get set up with Linux, specifically:
>
> - KDE 3.5
> - digital camera that operates as a mountable volume (USB drive)
> - external USB hard disk for backup
>
> There are some problems that have me at a loss since I don't use KDE
> myself.
>
> There is a daemon that automatically mounts the USB hard disk and the
> camera when they are plugged in. (I think it is part of KDE). This is
> good, except that they get an automatic mount point. Depending on which
> device is plugged in first, the camera or the HD may be at /media/usb1,
> /media/usb2, or some other mount point. The backup program is Grsync, a
> wrapper around rsync. This depends on the destination for the backup
> filesystem being mounted at a consistent location. And what's really
> annoying is that KDE file browser windows don't show the real mount
> point of the HD. I'd like to ensure that the HD is always mounted to the
> same mountpoint (e.g., /media/backupHD) and likewise for the camera
> (e.g., /media/camera). Any suggestions? Does there exist a GUI version
> of rsync for KDE that would operate better in this situation? A web
> search failed to find such a thing.

Write some udev rules to give them consistent device names (or
symlinks), then create mount points and fstab entries for them.A For
example, for my camera I have the rule:
KERNEL="sd?1",SYSFS{model}="ACEMAR          ",SYSFS{vendor}="IDIGAT L",SYMLINK="camera"

the KERNEL="sd?1" rule says that partion 1 of whatever scsi device...

--Ken