2006 May 12 16:22

Re: [vox-tech] Ubuntu vs. Kubuntu

Bob Scofield wrote:
I've always thought that Kubuntu was the same as Ubuntu except that it had KDE instead of Gnome. And I notice from their respective websites that Kubuntu is part of the Ubuntu project.

But I've noticed that on the debian-laptop list some people are recommending Ubuntu as the distro to run on laptops with no problems. And one of the posters said that he put Ubuntu on his laptop, and then added KDE! Why would he do such a thing unless Ubuntu was in fact different from Kubuntu in ways other than GUI's?

Does anyone know of any difference between Kubuntu and Ubuntu that would make one choose the latter for a laptop?

Thank you.

Bob
I think I can put all the questions to rest, or even spur new ones.

Ubunutu = Kubuntu , which ever one you install determines the default WM Gnome or KDE. I actually have Gnome, KDE, ICEWM, XFCE all running on the same ...buntu box. I even use many KDE apps from my KDE install inside of gnome and vice versa. In fact when you install Ubuntu, sudo apt-get install KDE_desktop is all it takes to make it U/Kubuntu.

So Install whichever one you like more based on the WM for the sole reason of saving some harddrive space. If you don't care about that then it doesn't matter which one you start with.

FYI the installer is identical.

Alex