2006 May 10 09:36

Re: [vox-tech] Ubuntu vs. Kubuntu

On Wednesday 10 May 2006 08:52, Bob Scofield wrote:
> I've always thought that Kubuntu was the same as Ubuntu except that it had
> KDE instead of Gnome.  And I notice from their respective websites that
> Kubuntu is part of the Ubuntu project.
>
> But I've noticed that on the debian-laptop list some people are
> recommending Ubuntu as the distro to run on laptops with no problems.  And
> one of the posters said that he put Ubuntu on his laptop, and then added
> KDE!  Why would he do such a thing unless Ubuntu was in fact different from
> Kubuntu in ways other than GUI's?
>
> Does anyone know of any difference between Kubuntu and Ubuntu that would
> make one choose the latter for a laptop?
>
> Thank you.

Hi, Bob.

I personally have Kubuntu Breezy running on my HP zd8000 laptop.  I did have a
problem finding and installing an appropriate driver for the video card, but
since Kubuntu ships with the same set as drivers as Ubuntu, it would have
been an issue either way.

I also have Kubuntu Dapper Flight 6 running on an ancient IBM Thinkpad with an
Intel Celeron chip.  That installed perfectly, with no issues at all, and
runs just fine (if a bit slow).

In short, I can't think of any reasons to recommend Ubuntu over Kubuntu for
installation on a laptop.

"That which does not kill me makes me stranger."
    -Llewellyn, from Ozy & Millie