2006 Apr 28 14:46

Re: [vox-tech] regex help - matching literal []

On Friday 28 April 2006 16:05, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 01:25:41PM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> > On Friday 28 April 2006 01:07 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > > However, the compiler complains when I escape the square brackets
> > > with a backslash.  For some reason \[ doesn't match a literal [.
> >
> > Sounds like you need to double up on the backslashes -- once for
> > the compiler's parsing of string literals, and once for the regex
> > parser.
>
> You could also use "[[].*]".

Hrm? I don't think so.

[bloom@cat-in-the-hat ~]$ bsh
BeanShell 2.0b4 - by Pat Niemeyer (pat@pat.net)
bsh % System.out.println("[ioaudsoif]".matches("[[].*]"));
// Error: // Uncaught Exception: Method Invocation matches : at Line:
1 : in file: <unknown file> : .matches ( "[[].*]" )

Target exception: java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException: Unclosed
character class near index 5
[[].*]
     ^