2006 Apr 20 23:50

Re: [vox-tech] Accessing remote screen

Ryan wrote:

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 09:56 pm, John Wojnaroski castle-at-mminternet.com |lugod| wrote:

Hi,

I'm using a remote ssh login to a machine with a dual head AGP card and
a PCI graphics card driving three monitors.

The AGP slot is the primary boot slot and the XF86Config file works just
fine and all three monitors come up running X and the window manager.

Have no problem starting a graphics program on the two monitors
connected to the AGP card with twin view.

Question is how do I remotely start a second graphics process on the
third monitor connected to the PCI card. Can do it locally by moving
the cursor into window focus and typing in the command. Just trying to
determine how it can be done remotely.

Do I need to get the PID of the second window manager? or some other
value that identifies the third monitor and associated screen?

you'll want to change the 'x' in DISPLAY=localhost:10.x to the screen number you want. screens start at 0.

to display something on the third sting you'd do

export DISPLAY=localhost:10.2

or, if you're using bash, you could do

DISPALY=localhost:10.2 xclock

to do it for just one command.

Thanks, Ryan, for the reply.

After a bit more work and research, think I'm getting closer and a little smarter ;-)

The applications running on the remote machine need to display to the local monitors and not back to the remote. Not sure if I made that clear in my initial query, just wanted to be sure we are "on the same page"

Part of the problem is that I can't get the server(s) to run on both cards. In the Xserver file there are two entries

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -layout TwinView
:1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 -layout PCI_CARD

and either can be started with linux$ startx -- -layout <name> but not both. The XF86Config file seems to be okay, in that when either display is started it comes up on the correct card with the proper monitor. Would seem to indicate that the layout, screen, and device sections of the config file are okay.

Something is missing, misconfigure, or both.. I'll keep digging and learning ;-)
Thanks again
John W.