2006 Apr 13 13:22

Re: [vox-tech] unzip producing output that is garbage

Re: [vox-tech] unzip producing output that is garbage

Dylan Beaudette wrote:
Howdy,

downloaded some data from the seamless.usgs.gov website, only to find that the ZIP archives that it delivered expanded to garbage!
running `file` on all of the contents returned "data", when other types should have been recognized. Also, a tiff file that was included in the archive is not being recognized as a tiff in any program. Text files have extra garbage near the top of the files.
Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

I have tried `unzip -b` as well, trying to force the un-archiving of the tiff file as binary, but without luck.

Any thoughts/ ideas?

Thanks!

Are you sure the files you downloaded are good to begin with. Somehow I doubt they posted md5 or other hash methods for checking.
What are the links, I'll try some on various other OSs with multitudes of unzips software and see if I can get it to work then give you and md5 to check for a working version.

Alex