2006 Apr 08 13:07

Re: [vox-tech] mail server config question

Re: [vox-tech] mail server config question

Cylar Z wrote:
I'm wondering - is there some sort of "yahoo-like" web
interface I could install on my system? I'm not
talking about a pop/smtp client like Outlook or
Squirrelmail (which I am guessing is Outlook's Linux
counterpart). If possible, I'd prefer to avoid setting
up the POP3/SMTP functionality this would require,
mostly because I've looked at the documentation for
Postfix and can't see a way to do that without leaving
an "open relay" that spammers could exploit.

There really isn't a security issue. As long as your mail server box is behind a firewall, there's no open relay worries. I do this very thing, using squirrelmail, exim, and courier-imap. Yes, my server is listening on the SMTP and IMAP ports, but I don't have those ports open to the outside world. My firewall blocks them, but leaves open port 80 (and more importantly - 443, https). I can then access my mail system via squirrelmail over https. Squirrelmail, which runs in apache on the server, can then talk to the SMTP and IMAP daemons, but nobody else from the outside world can.

HTH,

DR