2006 Apr 04 19:47

Re: [vox-tech] Must a 300 microsecond delay keep the CPU busy?

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 02:52:08PM -0700, Ted Deppner wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 02:26:11PM -0700, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 01:16:07PM -0700, Ted Deppner wrote:
> > >     if (mlockall(MCL_FUTURE)) { perror("mlockall"); exit(1); }
> >
> > Might he want to bitwise-or that with MCL_CURRENT? Otherwise, isn't
> > swapping (of the preexisting page[s]) still a possibility?
>
> That sounds right.  It's been years since I used these... I had to dust
> off some bits and refer a several archived no-longer-running machine
> backups to dig up that code.  :)

I've never used it; but I found it interesting enough to lookup after
you referred to it. :-)

BTW, this is also used for security concerns, right? To prevent
sensitive (eg, decrypted) data from getting to disk? I seem to remember
gnupg spitting out warnings that it couldn't do something like this, if
it wasn't run with privileges...

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/