2006 Mar 29 22:59

[vox-tech] Etch sources.list

I'm doing some thinking and planning for my upcoming Debian install, and came
across this from the Debian website:

 "The installer will set up /etc/apt/sources.list for the installed system
using the codename (etch) rather than the suite (testing) of the release
being installed."

Doesn't this take the fun out of Debian?  If I understand things correctly,
this will get the user into a system that will someday be "frozen"; Debian
stable.  Why would a desktop user ever want to run stable?

So here's my plan.  When I download Etch I'm going to copy my present
sources.list into the download.  It is set up for "testing".  It started out
as Sarge and is now Etch.  Isn't this the smart thing for a desktop (non
server) user to do?  This gets all the KDE, Open Office, Firebird upgrades
forever.  I wonder why Debian is channeling people into stable (a dead end).
Am I missing something?

Bob