2006 Mar 07 18:41

Re: [vox-tech] graphical front-end to bibtex files

Re: [vox-tech] graphical front-end to bibtex files

Ken Bloom wrote:
On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 10:05:32AM -0800, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
Hi everyone,

At home, on my mac there is a nice tool for working with bibtex files.. i am searching for something similar for Linux at work... Anyone have a favorite interface to bibtex files that will run under X11 ?

Thanks!
I've used gbib (http://gbib.seul.org/) and bibcursed
(http://bibcursed.sourceforge.net/) (both apt-gettable) for this in
the past. (Before I started building bibliographies by searching
http://liinwww.ira.uka.de/bibliography/index.html and memorizing the
most common templates. JabRef (mentioned by others) looks more
flexible, but isn't apt-gettable, is probably more heavyweight, and
may be overkill.

--Ken

It may not matter that it's not apt-gettable since there's no installation, at least on windows it runs straight from the .jar
You do however need a JVM or JRE installed.

I can't remember if it was Jabref or another similar program that is rumored for possible integration or mild porting into the next major Open Office release because they lack citation importing. BTW Open Office does manage bibliographies and I think they're Bibtex exportable, it's currently stored in a built in DB system. Good for those who haven't made leap to tex quite yet, but limited in importation.

Alex