2006 Feb 27 11:40

Re: [vox-tech] linux and viruses

Richard Crawford wrote:

On Saturday 25 February 2006 10:55, Alex Mandel wrote:

I've had the same problem with Norton Anit-virus scans. I want it to
scan when I'm not at work but that means I have to lock my station, if I log out it won't run until I log back in. Utterly useless.
My best guess is that these software components are not services, and
therefore can't run without a user logged in.

You guys are both lucky. I had to fight tooth and nail to get AdAware, SpyBot S&D, and AV software installed on my work computer and usable with my ordinary user account (our IT department insists that your Windows box is only at risk when you're running as an administrator).

Tuesday we've got a mandatory desktop security class taught by these same people. My boss and I are both going to have a really hard time to keep from heckling.

Your right, I'm lucky that our IT installs Spybot and some other proprietary(paid) anti-spyware. The irony is, everyone runs as a local Admin otherwise we'd never get anywhere, especially my group which does GIS, Statistics and R&D. So in a sense we're always at risk. I just wish they would enforce strong passwords to prevent silly things like a worm a few months ago that moved through networked drives since most passwords are from a common dictionary.

A Class would be nice for new employees too, but I work for the government there's no budget for that.

Alex