2006 Feb 26 09:48

Re: [vox-tech] quick apache question

Hey Z:

I think what you're looking for is the UserDir directive.

Is that enabled in the conf file (for your target user at least)?

Check this out for more info:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_userdir.html

--HTHO

jan

--- Cylar Z <cylarz@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Thanks to all who wrote regarding my "linux and
> viruses" thread. A nod to those who said my admin was
> unbelievably naive and uninformed. You know, he always
> seemed like a smart guy, but the fact that he's barely
> even heard of Linux (yet is in charge of a 200-client
> network) is staggering. As someone who has a free hand
> to design and maintain all the systems at our
> workplace, you'd think he would want to be fully aware
> of all his options and alternatives.
>
> What I'll probably wind up doing is emphasizing that
> there have been no large-scale virus attacks on Linux,
> and even if there were, it would be difficult if not
> imposssible for such an infestation to make the leap
> from Linux to Windows. (I'm hoping this will put his
> fears aside enough to let me hook up my laptop.) Many
> posters correctly pointed out that anything beyond
> this will likely go in one of the sysadmin's ears and
> out the other.
>
> Now I have a completely unrelated question about
> Apache HTTP server, one that I couldn't find the
> answer to at the Apache Server Project's website. The
> Linux server I'm working on runs HTTP server 2.0.
>
> A user on the system wants to have a webpage space
> within his shell account. He has already created a
> public_html directory & uploaded an index.html file
> into the directory. He has also set his public_html
> folder to chmod 755 and his index.html file therin to
> chmod 644.
>
> However, when he fires up his browser and types in
>
> www.mywebserver.com/~user
>   OR
> www.mywebserver.com/user
>
> he gets a Not Found error message instead of his
> webpage. My guess is that the problem is somewhere in
> Apache's config file; that is, the http server isn't
> looking in the correct folder for the index.html file.
>

> If I'm right, where in httpd.conf is the line that I
> need to modify? If I'm *wrong*, then what's the
> problem?
>
> The server also has a main webpage and some virtual
> hosts. All of these seem to be functioning normally,
> and yes, I double-checked that httpd is running.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks, Matt

I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. That is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.
    Martin Luther King Jr., Accepting Nobel Peace Prize, Dec. 10, 1964