January 6: Social gathering
2006 Feb 25 10:54

Re: [vox-tech] Defrag of Shared drive

Mark K. Kim wrote:

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 05:29:05PM -0800, jim stockford wrote:

how about something like this:

[snip]

cd <mount_point_dir_of_data_partition>
cp -R * <mount_point_dir_of_empty_partition>
sleep 1
rm -Rf *
sleep 1
cp -R <mount_point_dir_of_empty_partition>/* .

You're gonna lose the "System" file attribute if you do this from Linux
on a FAT partition. This is critical for certain files; I think the
Windows swap file is one of them. You'll also lose the "Archive" file
attribute, only important (though not critical) if you do incremental
backup using software that utilizes the attribute bit. Otherwise I
think this technique is safe to do on a partition without such files.

-Mark

Just to point out to everyone, this is a data only drive no Win OS files on it, that stuffs all safely tucked into a separate NTFS partition.
On that note, this idea isn't really practicle for a 100GB partition.

Alex

Alex