2006 Feb 25 10:46

Re: [vox-tech] Defrag of Shared drive

jim stockford wrote:
On Feb 24, 2006, at 4:06 PM, Rick Moen wrote:

Quoting Alex Mandel (tech_dev@wildintellect.com):

...I would prefer to defrag while in linux as to not
waste my windows time.

Any suggestions for tools or apps I should use.

I've looked for quite a few years, and so far not found one.

how about something like this:
given a system with multiple partitions, one
of which is empty and large enough to store
whatever is on another partition:
cd <mount_point_dir_of_data_partition>
cp -R * <mount_point_dir_of_empty_partition>
sleep 1
rm -Rf *
sleep 1
cp -R <mount_point_dir_of_empty_partition>/* .

The rationale is that the copy process will copy
each file one at a time, getting fragments from
where ever they are and storing them
contiguously on the empty partition. Remove
all files then copy them back from the temporary
partition--the copy process will restore them on
the original drive in contiguous order.

pot-shots welcome.
Compared to an actual defrag, this operation is
risky.  A power interruption could disrupt the process
at an unpredictable state.  If performed as an incremental
backup (multiple prior savepoints) and restore it could be effective,
though it would be disruptive to file timestamps and
filesystem flags.