2006 Feb 25 10:46

Re: [vox-tech] Defrag of Shared drive

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 05:29:05PM -0800, jim stockford wrote:

> how about something like this:
[snip]
> cd <mount_point_dir_of_data_partition>
> cp -R * <mount_point_dir_of_empty_partition>
> sleep 1
> rm -Rf *
> sleep 1
> cp -R <mount_point_dir_of_empty_partition>/* .

You're gonna lose the "System" file attribute if you do this from Linux
on a FAT partition.  This is critical for certain files; I think the
Windows swap file is one of them.  You'll also lose the "Archive" file
attribute, only important (though not critical) if you do incremental
backup using software that utilizes the attribute bit.  Otherwise I
think this technique is safe to do on a partition without such files.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius