2006 Feb 25 10:54

Re: [vox-tech] linux and viruses

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 11:04:19PM -0800, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
> How many people run Linux-based firewalls? I mean a box that's used as
> a firewall, not a so-called "personal" or "software" firewall that you
> add onto Windows. Versus how many base their firewalls around Windows?

Off-topic, but I've got a question:

I have McAfee security crap on my Windows XP laptop here at work.
(It includes a firewall which occasionally refuses to run due to
"Unknown error"; but seems to start working again after some random
self-update by McAfee, or some random Windows Update.  *grrr*)

I find it concerning that the firewall is NOT running unless I'm actually
_logged in_ to my/an account.

Why does the firewall service not start up as _soon_ as possible?
Is it not an issue at that point (i.e., the system is not vunerable)?
Or is it simply not _possible_ for the firewall to start at that point?

Considering the fact that it still takes about 5 minutes between entering
my username and password, and actually being able to _use_ the Windows
environment (e.g., launch Mozilla Mail or Putty), am I vulnerable while
waiting for McAfee to take its sweet time to start up?

(Note, along with the McAfee firewall, we also have a firewall/router
appliance at work.  But that doesn't help if and when I take the laptop
to a random coffee shop and use wireless.)

--
-bill!                                    Tux Paint 2006 wall calendar,
bill@newbreedsoftware.com                CDROM, bumper sticker & apparel