2006 Feb 24 11:09

Re: [vox-tech] linux and viruses

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 10:48:37PM -0800, Ryan wrote:
> That said, generaly internet access on linux is not done as root, which
> limits the impact of malware somewhat.  Also, the software is generaly
> written with security in mind, and fixes are usualy relased faster then
> microsoft. But lack of it being targeted by malware authors does have a
> signifigant amount to do with it.

>From a Desktop-usage point of view, it's probably arguable that Linux is
not targetted as much as Windows because it's not as "popular."  However,
I think it's also simply more _difficult_ to write malware for Linux, et al.

When you think of it from a server point of view, though, Linux (and other
Un*x-like OSes) are QUITE popular, and therefore you'd think there'd be way
more malware written that targetted them.  That doesn't seem to be the case.
(And it's not like huge servers full of people's private information are not
'interesting' targets. ;^) )

--
-bill!                                    Tux Paint 2006 wall calendar,
bill@newbreedsoftware.com                CDROM, bumper sticker & apparel