2006 Feb 21 14:56

Re: [vox-tech] OT: Automated Audio recording

Re: [vox-tech] OT: Automated Audio recording

Charles McLaughlin wrote:
On 02/21/2006 01:33 PM, Alex Mandel wrote:
I'm hoping someone on this list knows of or works for a company that can make and audio recording device that meets the following requirements. I thought that even an embedded linux device might work (hence, why this list)

1. Takes audio line input and records it to a hard drive. (At least 20GB)
2. Low power - power supply is a 12v 4500mAh recharged by solar
3. Fits in a small box (10"x8"x8") with the battery - we could by a bigger box
4. Some way to transfer the files off - Serial, USB etc.
Sounds like a fun project. :)

You can do all of the above with an ipod.  Here is an add-on Mic:
http://tinyurl.com/z6xgo

You could even run Linux ON the iPod if you want:
http://ipodlinux.org/Recording
I had thought about that but I was under the impression the add-on was a Mic not an audio line-in and we really wanted a bigger HD. We had bought 100GB drives for those XClefs and it was going to cost $250 a unit total . (kind of important in Government work where's there's no money)

Also, would I have to do some custom wiring splicing to power the Ipod off a 12v? I'm not even sure how I would do that with a USB plug. I know how with serial, has anyone done it with USB?

Thanks- Alex