2006 Feb 08 09:12

Re: [vox-tech] windows support, unfortunately

Re: [vox-tech] windows support, unfortunately

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
<snip>
Thankfully, I have good news to report.  I called IT this morning, and got
someone MUCH more reasonable.  He thought it was "admirable" that I only use
open source tools in my day to day job (I don't think I mentioned this, but
I'm a programming quant for a Wall street firm).  I mentioned what the other
guy said about FF, and he said the other guy was crazy (I think that's
"business speak" for "moron").   ;-)

Anyway, he said that developers and programmers are given admin access as a
matter of policy.  The problem, as we suspected, was my permissions changed.
He gave me admin access again, and now everything is back to normal.  Dunno
what caused the change in perms to begin with.  Gremlins perhaps.

Almost everything.  For some reason, Gaim isn't displaying its application
window, but I don't think that has anything to do the previous problems.  I
know its running because there's an instance in the task manager, but it
simply doesn't display its window.  Wierd.  But that's the biggest problem I
have, so I'm pretty happy right now.  I'm not going to worry about it ATM.

I may go the VMware route anyhow.  Or perhaps I'll just request a Linux
workstation.  I kinda don't want to ask too many questions for now.  It's
only my 3rd week.  :)

Great to hear your problems are solved! I am in nearly the same position as you: recently hired at a company with very restrictive computer policies. I've been pushing the limits even more than you, though, since I dual-booted my company issued computer with Gentoo Linux. So far IT folks have quietly ignored that I have done this, even when they took my computer to service some software in Windows. Right now I mostly work in Windows and am in the process of getting things to point where I can work mostly in Linux. Still, I have periods of paranoia where I envision Windows getting borked and having my laptop taken away to have its harddrive "re-imaged". But a little paranoia is good motivation to be careful and have a good backup strategy. Hope things are going well for you with your job.

Jonathan