2006 Feb 07 14:47

Re: [vox-tech] windows support, unfortunately

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 02:11:00PM -0800, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
> ...OK, I exaggerate. I have no real figures. But I've sped up
> my Dad's Windows system by removing and disabling a bunch of crap like
> that, and made my own systems more stable. And let's not forget the
> extra memory they're tying up for no good reason.
>
> (It's not just the commercial stuff, either. Mozilla has one of those,
> as does Open Orifice IIRC, though I believe in both cases they are up
> front about it

I personally like the idea of the Mozilla one (well, now its SeaMonkey),
since Mozilla takes freaking FOREVER to load.

My big problem with it is the fact that it's actually kind of stupid.
The moment I close the last open Moz window, Mozilla actually DOES quit.
Then it reloads itself.  In other words, my CPU usage skyrockets for about
20 seconds while it 'figures itself out')

> (unlike other programs like, say, Real Player).)

I only recently noticed the "Startup" menu in my literally-screen-sized
insanity of an "All Programs" menu in XP.  (WhereTF is the categorization?
I am VERY glad I don't get this kind of crap under KDE! >:^( )

I went in there and took a few items out.  No idea how much of an improvement
it's been, though.  I normally turn on my computer, grab a cup of water and
relax while it boots up, then type in my password and go get a cup of
coffee.  It's usually settled itself down to the point where I can actually
run applications by the time I get back.

Windows XP sucks.