2006 Feb 07 20:10

Re: [vox-tech] windows support, unfortunately

On Tue 07 Feb 06, 12:00 PM, Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com> said:
> By the way, Pete, see if you can get them to allow VMware as an
> "approved" application.  This is well recognized as a mainstream
> tool for developers.  www.vmware.com.
>
> If they don't want to pay for it, you can get the free VMware Player
> and then download their "Browser Appliance" as your virtual machine;
> this is a bare-bones Ubuntu 5.10 which you can then flesh out as
> much as you like with Synaptic or apt-get.
>
> And if you choose the NAT networking option, the VM will not even
> be noticed as a separate machine on the local network.
>
> I just noticed there's also now a free VMware Server.  I wonder how
> that differs from the Player....
>
> -- Rod

Thanks for the good advice!

Thankfully, I have good news to report.  I called IT this morning, and got
someone MUCH more reasonable.  He thought it was "admirable" that I only use
open source tools in my day to day job (I don't think I mentioned this, but
I'm a programming quant for a Wall street firm).  I mentioned what the other
guy said about FF, and he said the other guy was crazy (I think that's
"business speak" for "moron").   ;-)

Anyway, he said that developers and programmers are given admin access as a
matter of policy.  The problem, as we suspected, was my permissions changed.
He gave me admin access again, and now everything is back to normal.  Dunno
what caused the change in perms to begin with.  Gremlins perhaps.

Almost everything.  For some reason, Gaim isn't displaying its application
window, but I don't think that has anything to do the previous problems.  I
know its running because there's an instance in the task manager, but it
simply doesn't display its window.  Wierd.  But that's the biggest problem I
have, so I'm pretty happy right now.  I'm not going to worry about it ATM.

I may go the VMware route anyhow.  Or perhaps I'll just request a Linux
workstation.  I kinda don't want to ask too many questions for now.  It's
only my 3rd week.  :)

Pete