2006 Feb 06 17:20

Re: [vox-tech] base-config is gone

On Monday 06 February 2006 10:41 am, Ken Bloom wrote:

> base-config is the configuration questions that you would be asked
> after rebooting, prior to etch. It has been recently removed in favor
> of a more RedHat or Mandrake style installation of asking all of the
> installation questions before rebooting, and (I believe) installing
> all of the packages before rebooting. (I believe this allowed them to
> remove a hack in how they were installing packages before)

base-config could also be run at any time.  And so it was a convenient way to
modify the sources.list file.  The 2005 book *Debian System* also mentions
apt-setup, but I cannot find that command or package.

> I'm not sure what they're doing with tasksel, but surely it does not
> include the old base-config functionality such as mirror selection and
> user creation. Tasksel still only lets you pick common sets of
> packages for installation like "Desktop environment". I've always
> thought tasksel presented a rather useless list of tasks, and
> everything you can accomplish in tasksel can also be done in aptitude.

It seems useless to me.  When I used it to bring up Aptitude, Firefox was
immediately removed without giving me a chance to say "no."

Thanks for all of the other information Ken.  It is useful to me.

Bob