2006 Feb 06 10:41

Re: [vox-tech] base-config is gone

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 08:59:20AM -0800, Bob Scofield wrote:
> I've been having trouble lately with a couple of my Debian sources; U.C.S.C.
> and the University of Arizona.  So I decided to delete them with vi, and then
> add a couple of more with base-config.

I'm not directly familiar with base-config, though I've no doubt used it
in the past. :^)

> But base-config is gone.  I've done some Googling and learned that base-config
> was taken out of Sid.  I'm using testing, but it's just not here.

On my system, I see that there's a "base-config" package... and that I
even have config. files lying around from when it was installed.
The description says:

  This package is an empty package that is no longer used. It can be
  removed with no ill effects.

No big surprise, based on what you said above.  One thing I did notice,
though:

  Conflicts: tasksel (< 2.25)

This probably means that "tasksel" is the replacement.  Its description
begins: "Tool for selecting tasks for installation on Debian system".

Perhaps this is what you want...?

> So now I have to publicly admit that I do not know how to add sources without
> using base-config.

If by 'sources', you mean the locations from which tools like 'apt-get',
'deselect' and 'aptitude' fetch packages and package info?
Honestly, I've always done this by hand... manually editing the text
file:  /etc/apt/sources.list

That's the way I learned it. :^)  I'm guessing that some of the GUI
apt tools out there (like Adept?) might provide an interface to do the
same (upon providing the root password).  Not sure for certain, though!

>  So here are three questions:
>
> 1)  Is there an easy way to add sources without base-config?

It'll come as no surprised, based on what I said above, that I suggest
the following  ;^)

  * Check out tasksel...?  (On my system, I see no way of adding sources, tho.)
  * Edit /etc/apt/sources.list manually...?  Or is that 'easy' enough fer ya?

> 2)  How many sources do people think one needs?  I've got two right now.  Is
> there a reason for 3 or 4?

It depends on what you're doing and what you need.  For example, along
with 'unstable', I appear to have listings for 'stable' and 'testing'.

Additionally, I still seem to have KDE 3.5.0-for-testing, but it's no doubt
unused since KDE 3.5 is in unstable (Sid) now.

I also have:

  # Randall Donald's prebuilt nvidia kernel modules
  deb http://people.debian.org/~rdonald/nvidia modules-unstable/i386/

...so I can get 3D going on my el-cheapo NVidia PCI video card[1]...

as well as some "marillate" sources for Mplayer and friends, and packages
of some proprietary (but free) apps, such as RealPlayer and Acrocread.[2]

> 3)  Is there a tool  available for doing the other things base-config used to
> do (but which I can't remember)?

I can't remember what base-config did.  I have a hunch tasksel doesn't do
everything base-config did, but I'm not familiar enough to know for sure.
I'll leave it up to a Google search and/or other LUGOD readers to get you
your answer! :^)

Good luck!

[1] Don't ask why it's PCI.  I'm a dumbass! :^(
[2] Though mplayer and KDEs PDF apps suit me just fine 99.9% of the time!

--
-bill!                                    Tux Paint 2006 wall calendar,
bill@newbreedsoftware.com                CDROM, bumper sticker & apparel