2006 Feb 02 13:12

Re: [vox-tech] grokking g++ errors

On Thu 02 Feb 06, 10:21 AM, Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us> said:

> You didn't ask for assistance in actually troubleshooting this problem, but
> templates traditionally must be defined before they are instantiated in the
> source.  It is possible that newer compilers can handle definition after
> instantiation, but I don't know how they do it.

Sorry for being so dense, but I'm just now starting to try to really learn
function and class templates.

Do you mean that the template function definition must be seen before the
any calls to the function is made (I assume that's the instantiation)?

I guess what I'm asking is -- is the template function's prototype not
enough?  The actual definition must be seen before any calls to the function
are made?

Thanks,
pete