2006 Feb 01 09:35

Re: [vox-tech] using windows pathnames in cygwin

On 2/1/06, Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> wrote:
On Tue 31 Jan 06,  2:03 PM, Foo Lim <foolim@gmail.com> said:
>    Hi Pete,
>
>    When I installed gvim, I also installed the bat files for running from the
>    command line.  It's an option when installing gvim.  It puts batch files
>    in the Windows directory, so you can merely run:
>
>    gvim.bat file
>
>    I have successfully aliased vi to /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/gvim.bat, & it
>    works.
>
>    Foo

Hi Foo,

This is *exactly* what I want, but unfortunately it's not working for me.  I
tried calling the bat file by name:

   $ /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/gvim.bat /cygdrive/c/boot.ini

and got the same result:

   Unable to open swap file for \cygdrive\c\boot.ini

and gvim left me editing an empty file.  I have a new job which leaves me
zilch free time, plus I have a two hour commute each way (ugh!) so I don't
have much time for experimentation these days.  I don't suppose you have a
magic pill for this?  :)

Thanks!
Pete

Hi Pete,

This sounds like a permissions issue.  Are you part of the Administrators group?  The swap file should be created in the directory of the file you're editing.  What if you put
set noswapfile
in the _vimrc file in the Vim install directory?

Foo