2006 Jan 31 19:02

Re: [vox-tech] using windows pathnames in cygwin

Re: [vox-tech] using windows pathnames in cygwin

Micah J. Cowan wrote:
On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 04:37:03PM -0800, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

I've never used gvim.exe, but one of the issues that comes up in using
Windows versions of posix tools in cygwin is the newline problem...
the windows versions may or may not handle the normal cygwin LF
newlines properly.  gvim probably can... others don't always.
Can't you use "set fileformat"?
I don't know... in what context?

As a gvim command? Quite possibly... but as I said I don't use gvim
so you tell me...  I figured gvim would be smart enough to handle
alternate newline types in edited files, though it might not be
so forgiving in configuration files.

As a cygwin bash command? I am not aware of something like that... there
are mount options and installation settings for defaulting to unix or
dos handling of text files, with unix being recommended, but then
unix utilities compiled outside of cygwin don't pay any attention
to that and do whatever they were compiled to do.

This has been an issue for me with ActiveState Perl, which is a
separately-compiled Windows program that uses CRLF and windows
paths, while my cygwin installation generally produces LF delimited
files that ASPerl handles fine as input data but not as source code.
I found ASPerl handled crlf data more conveniently than cygwin perl
does on the whole, though.