2006 Jan 31 13:44

Re: [vox-tech] using windows pathnames in cygwin

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 04:28:15PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> In cygwin, I'd like to type "vi /etc/profile" and have gvim come up, editing
> /etc/profile without necessarily running X.  That means I need to rely on a
> win32 installation of gvim, rather than the gvim that comes with cygwin.
>
> I've installed win32 gvim in C:\Program Files\vim, but when I do:
>
>    /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Vim/vim64/gvim.exe /etc/profile
>
> gvim comes up with:
>
>    "Cannot open swap file for \etc\profile", recovery impossible
>
> and I find myself editing an empty file.  Eventually, I'd like to make
> "/usr/bin/vi" an alias for "/cygdrive/c/Program Fiels/Vim/vim64/gvim.exe".
>
> Is there a way to use win32 gvim from within cygwin and have the pathnames
> work out?

Crap. Probably not. What I'd recommend is writing a wrapper script that
translates the paths for you. Which might be more work than it's really
worth.

Myself, I've been using the X version of gvim under cygwin. I hate using the
DOS-console-running-bash method; I could never get the control sequences
to work the way I wanted. So, I always have X running with xterm anyway;
might as well take advantage of it.

--
Micah J. Cowan
micah@cowan.name