2006 Jan 20 14:05

Re: [vox-tech] Debian Boot Problem

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 01:11:21PM -0800, Bob Scofield wrote:
> I've got a triple boot system with Windows 98, SuSE and Debian.  I've had no
> problems with these three co-existing until about a week or so ago.  An
> irritating problem with Debian has surfaced.
>
> During Debian's boot, the boot process stops with this rather titillating
> error message:
>
> "Checking root file system.../: Superblock last write time is in the future."
>
> I'm then given two options.  (1) Reboot and let Debian fsck; (2) type in the
> root password and do a manual fsck.  But even if I manually fsck, I still
> have to reboot to get into Debian.  Thus the bottom line is that I have to
> boot twice to get into Debian.
>
> I also note this:  "fsck 1.39-WIP (10-Dec. 2005)"  So maybe I've apt-upgraded
> to a new and very sensitive fsck.
>
> Does anybody know what to do about this irritating problem?

Yeah, I got it too.  For possible solutions see:
http://tinyurl.com/96jw9

<http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.user/browse_thread/thread/14691c4613b454e8/281dfed02907301c>

In my case, the initial manual fsck was a blessing in disguise because it
found some other inode "linked list" errors that I wasn't aware of.

-troy