2006 Jan 17 14:43

Re: [vox-tech] Adding extra repository to Ubuntu

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 06:21:51PM -0800, Alex Mandel wrote:
> So I'm trying to use GIS tools on Ubuntu and need to get a newer version
> of QGIS installed.
> According to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGIS
> I just need to add
> deb http://www.orcaware.com/packages/ubuntu/ breezy/
> deb-src http://www.orcaware.com/packages/ubuntu/ breezy/
>
> Which I do and synaptic refreshes, but the newer version of QGIS which I
> can see is in the repository by browsing the web does not show up in
> synaptic. What do I need to do to force the upgrade or make synaptic
> find it?

Dumb question: did you tell synaptic (or apt-get or aptitude) to "update"?
That is, download the latest information on available packages from the
repository?

(I don't use synaptic, so I don't really know what it does when it
"refreshes."  I imagine if it does it quickly, it is _not_ doing anything
like an "apt-get update"... that takes about a half minute for me, even on
a fast computer with a DSL line.  10s of 1000s of packages in Debian. :^) )

Good luck!

--
-bill!                                    Tux Paint 2006 wall calendar,
bill@newbreedsoftware.com                CDROM, bumper sticker & apparel