2006 Jan 16 16:07

Re: [vox-tech] wireless mess

On Sunday 15 January 2006 22:49, Alex Mandel wrote:
> The problem is that I can't get on my network with the card, I'm using
> Network Manager (also from repo) and it sees my neighbors network and I
> put my network info in, including WEP key and it just doesn't work even
> if it says it connects it never pulls an IP. But thats not the biggest
> problem, somehow in my monkeying about my interfaces file and the Ubuntu
> network config I messed something else up. When I pop my "old card" back
> in I can get on my local network but not past my router to the world. I
> think I messed up something to do with the default gateway device or
> gateway in general although it should come over DHCP.

The same thing happened to me yesterday with my Kubuntu Breezy install; I
finally found that when both my wireless card and my Ethernet card were
enabled at the same time, I could not get out past my router.  When I
disabled my ethernet card from Network Manager, then everything worked fine.

Strangely, my ethernet card was still being enabled at startup, even though I
had configured it in Network Manager to not do so.  I finally just
edited /etc/networking/interfaces and commented out the eth0 section
entirely, figuring that since I rarely use the ethernet card, this wouldn't
be an issue; and if I did, I could always reenable it by hand in this file.

Oh, I also ended up having to put the WEP key in /etc/networking/interfaces in
plaintext in order to get wireless working.

Hope that helps.

"That which does not kill me makes me stranger."
    -Llewellyn, from Ozy & Millie