2006 Jan 13 22:27

Re: [vox-tech] Firefox File Associations

Re: [vox-tech] Firefox File Associations

Bob Scofield wrote:
Firefox in my SuSE system will not bring up Microsoft Word documents in Open Office if I click on Word documents on a web page. In my Debian system Firefox does bring Open Office up for Word documents. I'd like to fix Firefox in SuSE to do the same.
You should be able to do this through the Firefox GUI. If Firefox don't have an action for word documents defined, then it should open a dialog asking you what to do with the file the first time you download one. You dialog lets you set a helper program and tell FF to remember the action.

If FF isn't prompting you like this, then you may have saved an action to save word files rather than starting up a helper. Open the preferences dialog, click on the "Downloads" tab, then on the "view & edit actions" button. In this dialog you can change or delete the actions that FF has stored, though you can't add new ones.

Disclaimer: This is based on the windows version of FF, but I'm pretty sure the Linux version works the same way.