2006 Jan 11 07:27

Re: [vox-tech] Replacing FC with Kubuntu in Dual Boot env.

Re: [vox-tech] Replacing FC with Kubuntu in Dual Boot env.

Richard Crawford wrote:
On Tuesday 10 January 2006 21:38, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

There are many ways to hose a system... but installing a fresh Linux distro
over almost any other OS is pretty straighforward (at least for me).  I
would think you should be getting pretty familiar with it by now, too.

You'd think. I've done many installs, including several dual-boot installs, and have yet to destroy a system. I did once wipe a computer's MBR by deciding to make it a pure Windows system and remove Debian.

Nevertheless, I get paranoid.

Now that I think about it, I suppose that installing Kubuntu probably won't touch the MBR at all, just alter GRUB. Am I right?

Thats my thinking, just tell kubuntu to use the partition where FC is and it should take care of the rest, then when it asks if you want grub installed opt-out. Worse case scenario kubuntu won't be in the grub menu, but if that happens just use a boot disk and go in and edit the grub file. I think you'll get another choice though, an option to add to grub though if I remember my ubuntu installs. - Alex