2006 Jan 06 14:14

Re: [vox-tech] amazon "search in the book" questions

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 01:25:22PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Consider this URL, which is a page inside a book about Green's functions:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0521282888/ref=sib_rdr_prev2_ex1/104-6467245-0944703?%5Fencoding=UTF8&p=S00H&ns=1#reader-page
>
> When I use the browser (FF) to print the page, the book's contents don't
> show up on the printed page.  Same thing when I use FF's preview print
> feature.
>
> When I use left click "view image", the book page's contents disappear too.
> No matter where I click, the page title is "transparent pixel".

I've noticed a similar thing on Flickr.  Some people can make their
images "un-saveable-to-your-hard-disk", you just end up with a little
placeholder file.

This seemed to be handled via CSS trickery, though.  (I mean, the image
is _on_ my screen, and presumably _in_ my cache, so I _already_ have it!)

Firefox seems to have a "Use Style->None" option, that got around the
trickery.  (Other ideas would be screenshot, taking a photo of your
monitor, copying the text by hand, etc. :^) )

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/