2006 Jan 02 21:00

[vox-tech] linux, lotus notes, palm os handheld

[vox-tech] linux, lotus notes, palm os handheld

I just started a full-time job as a scientist/engineer at a very large international company. For networking and personal computers, "everyone gets the same thing" and "everyone does the same thing". This means Dell, Windows, Lotus Notes, and no alternatives. I didn't even get admin privs on my laptop until I filed appropriate paperwork!

Anyway, I quickly dual-booted the laptop so that I have a choice between the corporate windows and Gentoo Linux. But in order to use Linux on a day-to-day basis, I must be able to access my email and calender via the Lotus Notes system. Also, I am dependent on my PDA (palm os), which I will need to sync with Lotus Notes or equivalent. So here are the two scenarios I can think of:

A) Install Lotus Notes in Linux via CrossOver Office. Lotus Notes is rated "silver", so this should work for the most part. However, it is unlikely that communicating with a PDA would ever work with a CrossOver Office installed application.

B) Use native Linux email/calendering software such as Evolution or Kontact. These will sync with PDAs, but how do I access the Lotus Notes data on my company servers? Does anyone know if Lotus Notes uses standard network protocols (pop3, smtp, M$ exchange) or if it is "proprietary"?

So, I would love to hear suggestions, experiences, etc. If I can't make something work, I am afraid I will end up using windows at work 90% of the time, if not more!

Thanks,
Jonathan