Re: [vox-tech] Dealing with different UIDs and GIDs

On Wed 14 Dec 05,  6:35 PM, Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> said:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 04:44:15PM -0800, Richard Crawford wrote:
> > My wife has frequently talked about using our webhost as a place to store her
> > personal files in the event that both her computer and our server here fail.
> > Today I downloaded FUSE and SSHFS-FUSE and installed them both.  I was able
> > to mount our account on our webhost to a directory in our shared account on
> > our local server, like this:
> >
> > sshfs user@host.pair.com: /mountpoint
>
> Neat! :^)
>
> I've been playing with fish (in konqueror) and samba for various transfer
> purposes (backups and MP3 ripping/sharing) between Melissa's laptop and my
> desktop at home.
>
> I need to look at this FUSE stuff.  And probably NFS some day.  *sigh* :)

Seconded...  "neat".

I'll have to play with this too!  Debian users may want to take note of bug
#325993 before installing the fuse-utils package.

NFS is a breeze to set up.  I couldn't imagine a home network without it.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work well with VFAT/NTFS partitions.  So if your
server has a C or D drive that you'd like to share with other systems,
you'll have to find some way to export the directories other than NFS.

Pete  (who is now listening to Sirius radio hooked up to his Linux box)