[vox-tech] Dealing with different UIDs and GIDs

[vox-tech] Dealing with different UIDs and GIDs

My wife has frequently talked about using our webhost as a place to store her
personal files in the event that both her computer and our server here fail.
Today I downloaded FUSE and SSHFS-FUSE and installed them both.  I was able
to mount our account on our webhost to a directory in our shared account on
our local server, like this:

sshfs user@host.pair.com: /mountpoint

/mountpoint is a subdirectory in /shared, which is shared out via Samba so
that we can get to it through either Windows or Linux.

When moving around via the command line, I can get to that mounted directory
and look around just fine.  However, the GID and UID are 3187 and 1000,
respectively, which I assume are the GID and UID of our account on Pair's
server.  I tried creating a user on our local account with the UID 3187 and a
group called pairuser with the GID 1000, and added both my wife's and my
accounts to that group.

Now, if I'm logged in to the server, I can cd to the mountpoint just fine and
browse around.  However, I can't cd to it from the command line on my own
Linux box, and I certainly can't see it through Windows.

I suspect I'm missing something very simple.  Any ideas, anyone?

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com