Re: [vox-tech] Chapters and links within pdf files

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 10:05:38AM -0600, Ken Bloom wrote:
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > When you look at the GDB User's Guide,
> >
> >    http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb.pdf.gz
> >
> > with xpdf, there's a left nav bar that allows you to choose chapters.  Also,
> > the TOC contains links to the relevant sections.  The font and layout looks
> > like tex/latex to me.
> >
> > How are the navbar and TOC links accomplished?
>
> Both are accomplished simply by including the hyperref package and using
> pdflatex to create the PDF. You'll also get hyperlinks from \cite{}
> commands to the appropriate bibliography entry.
>
> --Ken Bloom

One more thing to note; when I was using the hyperref package last year,
I noticed that it caused some problems in regular latex (but not
pdflatex) on the table of contents and table of figures pages (i.e.,
long section/figure/table names did not wrap properly to a second line).
I'm not sure if this bug still exists or not, but my solution was to use
the following at the top of my document:

    \ifx\pdfoutput\undefined    % We're not running pdftex
        % do nothing
    \else
        \usepackage{hyperref}
    \fi