2005 Nov 03 18:27

[vox-tech] An Apt vs. Aptitude Observation

[vox-tech] An Apt vs. Aptitude Observation

I'm calling this message an "observation" because I don't know enough to offer
an explanation of what it is I am observing.  But generally I have had a
better experience with apt-get than I have with aptitude.  I think it's
Karsten Self who has written a piece explaining why aptitude is better.  He
knows more than I do, but here's my latest experience.

Lately I've been doing apt-get and aptitude every day.  Recently apt-get
dist-upgrade has been downloading stuff when aptitude dist-upgrade does not.
Today I have an extreme example.  If I do aptitude dist-upgrade, I'm told
that a whole bunch of KDE files are being held back.  If I do apt-get
dist-upgrade I'm told that I can continue to download all 155 MB of the KDE
stuff.

Bob