2005 Oct 22 17:49

Re: [vox-tech] 32 vs. 64

--- Mike Simons <msimons@simons-clan.com> wrote:
<snip>
> I've not checked how FC4 does it, but most 64-bit linux flavors
> install
> "32-compat" libraries also... some default to 64 bit in /lib and use
> /lib32, others default to 32 bit and provide a /lib64.

I think that FC uses the /lib64 for 64 bit libs and /lib for 32.

Also, is this install for a production machine (not testing, or
personal use)?  If so, I have run into some problems with the releases
of FC.  I changed to RHEL-based distros (centos), and my life has
become alot easier (there were some mysterious problems with SAMBA and
NFS that were unrelated, but made some pretty hairy problems on my
network).  I don't know if my problems were related to the 64 bitness
or not, but I decided to use a different distro.

Centos is nice and free, and based on the SRPMS from RHEL, and
available for every platform that RHEL supports.

http://centos.org/

Piebox linux is the same philosophy (RHEL as source), but I haven't
used it.

I only use centos for prod machines, now.  It's all the same stuff as
RH, so nothing is different, except for different icons.

:)

jan

I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. That is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.
    Martin Luther King Jr., Accepting Nobel Peace Prize, Dec. 10, 1964