2005 Oct 22 17:49

[vox-tech] 32 vs. 64

Hi,
I just got a new Poweredge 1850 (Dual Xeon 3.8 GHz, 2 MB RAM, SCSI) and
I am planning to install on it Fedora Core 4.  The question is: Should I
use the i386 version or the x86_EM64T?  The Xeons can use either OS
though I don't know if both are native or if one of them is emulated.
Thinking about the future, I am leaning towards the 64-bit version, but
I am wondering if I will run into trouble with my applications.  Most of
them if not ALL are 32-bit.

Is anybody aware of any potential problems? Is there an associated cost
of running 32-bit applications on 64-bit machines?

Thank you very much in advice for your comments.

Cheers!

Alfredo