2005 Oct 10 16:02

[vox-tech] CUPS on FreeBSD

I know this is BSD I'm asking about, not Linux. At least it's not
Windows. :)

I've been working on CUPS all frickin' day, and part of yesterday
besides. I got the web interface to respond around 6pm.

I still can't get the server to respond.

# lp
lp: error - scheduler not responding!

# lpinfo -v
lpinfo: Unable to connect to server: Can't assign requested address

# lpr
lpr: error - scheduler not responding!

# lpadmin -p 5850 -E -v usb:/dev/ulpt0 -m HP-DeskJet_5850-hpijs.ppd
lpadmin: Unable to connect to server: Can't assign requested address

http://jnork.nonken.net/images/Misc/Screenshot.jpg (The Cups utility I
found and installed can't seem to see it, either.)

I'm still looking, but most of the how-to and help pages and documents
I've found so far either assume you've already got it working, or
assume that once you follow their instructions, it works without a
hitch. Being a bit new to all this (*nix in general, CUPS in
particular) I find I'm at a loss.

There's a copy of the CUPS error_log at
http://jnork.nonken.net/downloads/error_log.txt if that helps any.
Probably want to scroll to the end....

I mostly followed this:
http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15325

about up to the point where it said

"The server can be configured with the aid of a web browser - simply
point it at: http://localhost:631/admin";

when I got stalled for a while. I now have the web interface
responding, but can't get any farther. If I try to add a printer via
the web interface it gets as far as "Device" and then shows me a
pull-down menu with nothing in it.

I do seem to have managed to add a printer with this:

# lpadmin -h aphrodite -p 5850 -E -v usb:/dev/ulpt0 -m
HP-DeskJet_5850-hpijs.ppd

plus root's password (it prompts me), but none of the other commands
seem to be able to let me specify the server. It would be a bit
awkward to have to supply the root password every time I tried to
print something anyway.

Help?