January 6: Social gathering
2005 Aug 23 09:11

[vox-tech] more security questions (DNS & security thread)

[vox-tech] more security questions (DNS & security thread)

Mark:

Thanks for your help. I want you to know that I got
httpd to start successfully. As per your
recommendation, I shut off xinetd and some other
services that were trying to listen on 0.0.0.0 and
basically crowding out Apache. I just shut off daemons
one by one that weren't on your "keep" list. I think
what finally solved the problem was killing something
called "tux", which makes sense since it is described
as some kind of httpd-related daemon.

As to sendmail, am I to understand that to run it
"locally," I'd turn the daemon back on, but close the
SMTP port on the iptables firewall? Assuming your
answer to that is "yes," do I also safely assume that
it's the same way with other services that are to be
run "locally?" I think that's what you said but I want
to be absolutely sure, before I risk opening any holes
in my security perimeter that could be exploited.

Second, I'm interested in adding a mail server that
actually can communicate with the outside world. I've
been hearing that sendmail config is hard and that I
should use PostFix instead. Your opinion please.

Thanks, Matt

"Our nation has defended itself and served the freedom of all mankind. I'm proud to lead such an amazing country and I'm proud to lead it forward."   - President George W Bush, November 3 2004

God give wisdom to our leaders. God bless America.