2005 Aug 22 23:09

Re: [vox-tech] DNS issues, security, apache

Re: [vox-tech] DNS issues, security, apache

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, Cylar Z wrote:
[snip]
> Fortunately I was able to physically get to it
> yesterday, log in at the console, and restore remote
> access by re-enabling the services I'd shut off. It
> seems to be letting me in remotely just fine now.

Cool.

> Another question. For some reason, httpd has stopped.
> When I type
>
> /root>service httpd restart
>
> Stopping httpd:            [FAILED]
> Starting httpd: (98)Address already in use: make_sock:
> could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
> Unable to open logs
>
>     [FAILED]
>
> What's this about? Why is it trying to listen on
> 0.0.0.0 instead of my actual IP?

Listening on 0.0.0.0 means it's listening on *EVERY* IP.  So you can
connect to it via 127.0.0.1 (if you're connecting to the computer from
itself) as well as the "actual" IP, and any other IP your computer may
understand to be itself.

The reason it can't bind to 0.0.0.0:80 is because there is another program
running on that port.  Maybe some configuration problem to left a copy of
Apache running?  Or perhaps xinetd is monitoring that port?  In either
case, `netstat -ltp` as root should show which process is using that port.

> Oddly enough, while the box is "up" now, it responds
> only "intermittently." Sometimes it responds to pings,
> HTTP requests, and SSH attempts; at other times I get
> nothing on all three. I'm scratching my head.

Not sure what that's about... but my connection's been a little weird
lately while ssh'ing with systems in norcal (I'm in socal) -- maybe
something's up with the network in general in the area.

> I do have an iptables firewall up, but it's configured
> to allow SSH, HTTP, FTP, and Sendmail through. Those
> are the exceptions I selected.

You probably don't want Sendmail's port open.  Local deliveries will work
without Sendmail's port being open.

> I've been using the "setup" configuration tool
> available at Fedora Core's command prompt to turn
> services on/off and configure the firewall - is there
> really a reason I need to go into rc.d and mess with
> things in there directly?

No, there isn't.  I wasn't sure what tool Fedora uses for
starting/stopping services these days (it changes from version to version,
and each distribution has its own technique) so I was just recalling some
oldschool techniques from my RedHat/Mandrake days.  Setup sounds like it's
the right program to use on Fedora for starting/stopping services.  What
that program does is probably to mess with things in rc.d on your behalf
so it's not so... messy.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim