2005 Aug 17 18:04

Re: [vox-tech] CPU stepping

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 10:37:06AM -0700, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> On my gentoo laptop, I have purposely installed something called
> "powernowd".  It works with the kernel modules "cpufreq_userspace" and
> "cpufreq_powersave" to scale the cpu speed to reduce power consumption.
>  When I am idle, I get 498.387 Mhz.  When I run something significant
> (e.g. glxgears), I get my full spec, 1196.131 Mhz.  I'm not sure if this
> is related to your issue or not, but have you checked cpuinfo when
> running a full cpu load?

No!  Well why didn't >I< think of that!? :^)

The good news is, my latest game was running quite slow on Melissa's laptop
last night at the SVLUG Hacking Society meeting, so instead of adding
a title screen and game-over and stuff, I actually recoded the graphics
display code to get it back up to 30fps on her system.  I wouldn't have
bothered for a while, I imagine, if I hadn't seen it going so slow first-hand.

(Maybe I /shoudln't/ have gotten rid of my Pentium 133Mhz! ;^) )

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/