2005 Aug 18 08:44

[vox-tech] Fwd: Device Error

Bruce Winterhalder posted this from a non-subscribed address, so I'm
passing it along to the list for him...

----- Begin forwarded message -----

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:49:10 -0700
From: Bruce Winterhalder <bwinterhalder@ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Device Error

Folks:
	A few months ago I attended an install fest to have Linux put onto my
IBM X40, dual boot laptop.  With some help from Tux Magazine I have been
quite happily finding my way through a transition from dependence on MS
software.
	I have Kernel#2.6.11-1.35_FC3 as the Fedora Core operating system, and
KDEbase 6:3.4.2-0.fc3.2 for the desktop environment.  I update all
installed packages weekly using Synaptic.
	The desktop, particularly Konqueror, is the source of a new and minor
problem.
	If I click on the devices tab in Konqueror I get the error message:
"Cannot find parent item media:/ in the tree.  Internal error"  This
prevents me, for instance, from getting to a flash drive, something that
worked flawlessly until yesterday.
	I have tried reinstalling KDEbase but believe the reintall is aborted
by an "APT system report. E: Error while running transaction. . .already
installed."  In any case, that hasn't addressed the problem.
	I would appreciate suggestions about solving this.  Thanks in advance,
and thanks in retrospect for the Installfest that got me moving in this
direction.
		Bruce

--
Bruce Winterhalder