2005 Aug 10 16:21

Re: [vox-tech] USB-DVD burner

> Richard Harke wrote:
> > My wife has an external USB DVD reader/writer which I
> > thought I'd try. I get some lines in dmesg when I power it up
> > but I can't find it with dvdrecord -scanbus
> > I have an ATAPI CD burner which works fine. I suspect that its
> > presence may interfere with the USB model. I've googled until
> > I'm google-eyed. I found one persons remark that he had it
> > working fine now, the hard part was determining the /dev
> > to use. He didn't say what worked, however.
[snip]

Whenever I get a new USB device that doesn't work right away, I do this:

As root, `tail /var/log/messages`, unplug the USB, wait about 5 seconds,
replug the USB, then `tail /var/log/messages` again.  It should say
*something* about the device.

If the log says the device is recognized, you just gotta figure out how to
access the device.  If it says the device is "not claimed by any active
driver" and there's no "usb.agent ... loaded successfully" message right
below it, then you need a driver.  You can try google search on the
message in /var/log/messages to see if anyone else is using the product
and having problems.  The vend/prod number in /var/log/messages is
especially important, as it need to be recognized before the USB drivers
can do anything with it.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim